Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Trip Preparations

Alright, so my psychological self-analysis out of the way, way back in March 2007, I was discussing with my wife my desire to travel again. I tell my wife the list of cities I'd like to go:

Chicago- Heather wanted to go to
Vancouver- Heather really wanted to go to
Toronto- Heather had already been to and didn't need to go again
Portland- Heather wanted to go to
Montreal- Heather wanted to go to

Can you guess which one I went to?

Alright, the title of this post sort of gives it away. So Toronto it is! I started researching flights and hotels immediately. Flights out of Austin (oh, I live in Austin, TX...it sort of rules) were upwards of $500. I don't like paying that much, so I choose to widen my search (I have parents in the Dallas area and a friends in Houston). Sure enough, I find a flight from Dallas to Toronto, non-stop at least $100+ less than flying out of Austin (plus, I get to stop in West, Texas both ways and eat badass pigs in a blanket/beer bread). I then start working on finding hotels. Again, everything is well over $100/night (Canadian or American, doesn't really matter...that's expensive when you're staying 4-5 nights and you're a lowly University worker). I start doing further research and find some "budget hotels". This is always a double edged sword...on one hand, they're usually places that are a few steps below a hostel, or they're on a crack block (meth block? I can't keep up with drug blocks anymore); on the other hand, they're typically in interesting neighborhoods, or really well located, or just plain more interesting.

So I came across a program at the University of Toronto. During the summer, they rent out their dorm rooms in particular residence halls to out of towners (many times visiting professors, foreign students or other visitors). I figured I fell into at least 2 of those categories, and once I saw it was $40/night (Canadian dollars even!), I was sold. I'm pretty sure I forgot what it was like living in a dorm, but I think I liked it. I'm not sure I thought about that once I saw the price tag and it's location (the University is in the middle of the main downtown area of the city, plus, it's right at the center of both subway lines), not that it mattered. I was sold! So I've got my flight, and I've got my lodging, now I just need to figure out what I'm going to do there and plan out my trip...

No comments: