So, I make it thru my last week of work before I take off for The Great White North, or as a friend of our's now calls it "America's Hat". I've been trying to figure out what kind of hat America is wearing, but it all depends on where America's face is. When I look at a map, is America looking at me? or is it looking toward Europe? I'm gonna go ahead and say that is facing you when you look at it on a map, and as such, America is wearing an asymmetrical hat that's bigger than its face.
Wow, I already went off on a tangent in the first sentence! Beat that, Family Guy!
So anyways, I drive up to Dallas for my cheaper plane flight, and crash at my parent's house in Mansfield the night before. I wake up bright and early and get to the airport 2+ hours ahead of time (after all, that's what they tell you to do, and I've never been on an international flight before, so maybe they really do pat you down for 45 minutes). Alas, it doesn't take much time at all, and before I know it, I'm in the terminal with about 1 1/2-2 hrs to spare. I try for wireless service, but you gotta pay for that. Being the cheap bastard I am, I pass. I go to a different gate (where it was less crowded) and call my wife. I get off the phone with her and sit down near my gate. I go to grab my boarding pass, to make sure I have it, and sure enough, it's not there. I had it folded in a newspaper and I must have set said newspaper down at some point. So now I'm officially freaking out. What else is missing? My passport? No, got that (Thank God). Nope, all I was missing was my boarding pass, and the address/phone number for the dorms at U of T (I'm glad the University of Toronto didn't try to steal the University of Texas' use of UT...speaking of, up yours' University of Tennessee...we've won a national championship more recently than you have, so suck it...ok, not really, no offense was intended to any UTenn. grads or fans).
So, I'm freaking out, because even if I can get another boarding pass (which I was able to do), I won't know where to go or how to get there. I start calling my wife, friends, etc. but can't reach anyone (note: this was around 9am and most of my friends are slackers who sleep in on Saturdays...no offense slacker friends!). Of course, like the idiot I am, it took me a while to realize "oh, why don't you call your parents who dropped you off an hour ago and should be home?". Sure enough, I call up my stepdad, David, who breaks into my gmail account to get my vital information. So, that scare out of the way, I have all the information, boarding passes, and passports that I need to get to Toronto.
And away I went...to Canada! (I know, I know, it's taken me awhile to get there, but I promise, there will be pictures in the next post!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment